Molybdenum-99 for Medical Imaging
|Author||National Academies of Sciences|
|Classification||6.07.4.60/27 (MISCELLANEOUS - NUCLEAR MEDICINE / MEDICAL APPLICATIONS - RADIO ISOTOPES)|
From the publication:
Molybdenum-99 for Medical Imaging Committee on State of Molybdenum-99 Production and Utilization and Progress Toward Eliminating Use of Highly Enriched Uranium Nuclear and Radiation Studies Board Division on Earth and Life Studies A Report of The National Academies of Scienes - Engineering - Medicine Executive Summary This Academies study was mandated by the American Medical Isotopes Production Act of 2012. Key results1 for each of the five study charges are summarized below; additional details are provided in the report summary and individual chapters. Study charge 1: Provide a list of facilities that produce molybdenum-99 (Mo-99) for medical use including an indication of whether these facilities utilize highly enriched uranium (HEU). (Chapter 3) About 95 percent of the global supply of Mo-99 for medical use is produced in seven research reactors and supplied from five target processing facilities located in Australia, Canada, Europe, and South Africa. About 5 percent of the global supply is produced in other locations for regional use. About 75 percent of the global supply of Mo-99 for medical use is produced using HEU targets; the remaining 25 percent is produced with low enriched uranium (LEU) targets. One of the reactors used to produce Mo-99 is fueled with HEU. Study charge 2: Review international production of Mo-99 over the previous 5 years.2 (Chapter 3) New Mo-99 suppliers have entered the global supply market since 2009 and further expansions are planned. An organization in Australia (Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation) has become a global supplier and is currently expanding its available supply capacity; existing global suppliers in Europe (Mallinckrodt) and South Africa (NTP Radioisotopes) are also expanding their supply capacities;
This publication is digitally available in the Laka library, but it's not on-line.
E-mail us (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like the pdf sent to you (with the subject, number and title). Of course you can also come by.